Prepare Your Practice for National Children’s Dental Health Month
February is National Children’s Dental Health Month (NCDHM), which means it’s the perfect time to reach out to your current and potential pediatric patients, as well as your community, by engaging them through programs, contests, and events specially designed for kids.
The goal of NCDHM is to spread information about the importance of oral health and to provide oral care to all children, particularly those who would otherwise not receive it. As a dental health professional, this is your opportunity to educate and benefit your community, while also creating name recognition and a positive image for you and your practice.
Joining the StarSmilez Community can help you connect with members of your local community and discover more opportunities to talk about your work while giving back through your educational talks. Joining is free.Reaching out to the Community
There are numerous ways that you can reach out to your community to help spread awareness of NCDHM and your practice.
- Contact local elementary and preschools to arrange to speak about the importance of oral health. Remember your StarSmilez educational puppet, as well as several toothbrushes to distribute!
- Contact stay-at-home mom organizations, such as MOMS Club or MOPS, and offer to speak to your area’s group and teach the children about good oral hygiene. Let your StarSmilez personality, such as Al E. Gator, help you with your presentation, and you’ll be a huge hit!
- Organize a children’s health fair centered on dental health and its effects on our overall health. This can be done at a library or church in a disadvantaged area of town where children may not be receiving proper oral health care. Enlist the help of nonprofit organizations, youth groups, and fraternities or sororities to assist with spreading the word, soliciting sponsors, and volunteering on the day of the event.
Your patients probably already know about the importance of dental health care. However, they may not know how closely good oral health is tied to good overall health. Keep them informed and you’ll become their go to resource for everything oral health. Not only will they thank you they will refer their friends.
- Email your patients educational information about NCDHM, as well as a checklist of oral health habits that all kids – and adults – should adopt.
- Have dental health information cards at your office that include the DO’s and DON’Ts of good oral hygiene. Add a ‘refer a friend’ incentive or thank you gift to recognize them when they send you a patient.
- Hang posters in your reception area that show good oral hygiene habits at work.
- Give younger patients activity sheets depicting the knowledge they need to have great oral health care.
StarSmilez has the tools, tips, and more to help you successfully spread the word about NCDHM and your practice. With our line of StarSmilez personalities and products, as well as our StarSmilez Community, we have the resources you help you reach more people in your community which strengthens patient relationships and helps you find new ones.
Need help planning out your NCDHM strategy? Join our eNewsletter, and you’ll receive our periodic updates on CDHM best practices and our annual survey findings.